Cemetery Description Given by Original Transcribers:
The Pioneer or Parker Cemetery is situated in the NW 1/4 of the NW 1/4 of Section 5 T. 80 N. R. 1 E of the 5th P.M. Liberty Township.
Transcribed and checked on July 26, 1976 by Lorraine Duncan and Scharlott Blevins
[Note taken from p. 139 of print volume 1.] In a large circle there is a large stone with the following dedication:
[front]: Dedicated to Pioneers, Old Settlers and Descendants of the Parker Family buried here in what was known as the Parker Cemetery. /
PIONEER CEMETERY /
In Memory of Mr. & Mrs. John F. Murray, Descendants of Francis and / Rhoda Chaplin Parker, For the beauty and care of Pioneer Cemetery. /
[back:] This land was originally granted by the United State Government to Asa Haile, September 23, 1840. /
Asa Haile sold the land to George R. Willey and wife, February 8, 1851 /
George R. Willey sold the land to Archer Matthews and wife, July 5, 1853 /
Archer Matthews deeded the land to Liberty Township Trustees for / a public burial ground March 6, 1855 /
Additional land was purchased from George Spickermann and wife, / by Mr. & Mrs. John F. Murray, July 11, 1924 /
The Rock Wall was erected and the Cemetery was landscaped in 1936 - 1937 by Mrs. John F. Murray in Memory of her husband. The rock was obtained from the Frank Knoche farm. /
The Gate was made by Carl Wazac, Sr. of Lost Nation, Iowa. /
The Iron Work on the Gate was made by John Thompson of Wheatland, Iowa. /
The Flag and Pole were dedicated October 7, 1972 by U.S. Congressman Fred Schwengel.
Scott County Cemetery Records V. 1, available at the Scott County Library System - Eldridge Branch
Copyright protected. Use of materials from this collection beyond the exceptions provided for in the Fair Use and Educational Use clauses of the U.S. Copyright Law may violate federal law. Permission to publish or reproduce is required.